Let’s get this out of the way: I think walruses are super cute. I think pigs are pretty cute too, but I have no qualms about eating bacon.
The CDC has issued a warning about eating under cooked gaming meat. There have been two outbreaks of trichinosis, caused by a roundworm, in the last year in Alaska. It should be noted that walrus can only be hunted by Alaskan natives for food or utility purposes. One family was diagnosed after eating walrus meat cooked to “medium”, another after eating it raw.
Trichinosis is usually linked with black bear or polar meat. Multiple outbreaks of trichinosis haven’t been associated with walrus meat since 1992. Symptoms may include diarrhea, vomiting, swelling of the face, fever, muscle soreness, and difficulty coordinating movement. It is treatable by prescription drugs.
Cheers to the walrus!
Well, we have a lot to unpack here at PlagueGirl. First off, food is no longer safe to eat. This should have been obvious to everyone with the deadly listeria outbreak in cantaloupe and the E.coli outbreaks that have been linked to cookie dough, beef and spinach, just to mention a few.
But if for some reason all of this escaped you and you continued eating your raw cookie dough with your hands blissfully unaware, I am here to inform you it appears nothing is safe to eat anymore. (On a personal note, none of this has stopped me from eating anything, ever, but I like to live dangerously as PlagueGirl.)
Recently, seemingly innocent bags of frozen berries have been linked to an outbreak of Hepatitis A. At this point, some people expect their meat to have mad cow or E.coli or some sort of contamination, but their healthy bags of frozen berries?! (On another personal note, I recently invested in a blender and have been making tons of delicious smoothies. But like I said, I live dangerously.) Click here for more info on Hepatitis A.
Next on our list of contaminated foods is CHEESE. CHEESE! Cheese is both delicious and no stranger to contamination. A recent outbreak of listeria has been linked to cheese sold at Whole Foods stores. So far, it has been associated with the death of one person and the possible miscarriage of a pregnant woman. Click here for more info on Listeria.
Upcoming on PlagueGirl: Coronavirus, Valley Fever, and whatever the next food-borne illness may be!
Follow PlagueGirl on Twitter!